Thursday, October 25, 2007

Blasts From the Past

Two really cool things happened in the past two weeks. I reconnected with two friends that I haven't seen in ages. It was so much fun.

The first was a friend I met 13 years ago when my parents were living in Charlotte, NC. I actually knew his brother and parents from Virginia Beach because I went to high school with his brother and his mom was a substitute teacher. Anyway, I didn't meet T until college and North Carolina. We emailed occasionally over the years but I last say him Christmas of 1994. Last week I went to Charlotte for a work trip and had let Tom know I was coming to town and maybe we could get together. It ended up being so much fun. I went to dinner with him and his parents on Wednesday night to celebrate his dad's birthday. Then the next night I ate pizza, drank beer and watched a German film at his place with a friend. It was such a break from the hotel room and eating out. So great to reconnect.

Then this week, I was able to meet up with another friend I haven't seen in 10 years! D was in Florida getting his Master's and was part of the Bible study group I attended. Once he got his degree, he headed out in the big bad world to make his way and we kept in touch occasionally via email as well. I hadn't been in touch with him for years when we connected on a professional social networking website. I saw that he was in New York City so I sent him a hello from a Florida friend and told him if he was ever in DC to let me know and I would show him the sights. Imagine my surprise when this week he emailed me saying at the last minute he ended up in DC. We were able to meet up for a couple of hours and walked the Mall to the White House catching up. I really enjoyed reconnecting with him as well and now have another connection in New York to show me the sights.

God is so good and I have to say that it is really a trip to be old enough to have those experiences that as a young girl I used to read about in books or hear about on the news - old friends reconnecting. In a way its crazy that I'm that old, but I'm also so grateful for such wonderful people that I can renew my friendship with.

No comments: